About this infographic
Every country in the world, no matter how small or poor, has at least one airline. The creator of this data visualization made this conclusion, along with many others, while researching and designing this very pretty infographic. Different to most in that it essentially visualizes just two data variables, the simplicity and effectiveness of this infographic, along with the dynamics of its subject, make for an interesting visual. I particuarily like how the coastal airports help make out the contours of the world’s landmasses.
Take a look at the source for more interesting facts about world airline routes, popular destinations, frequency, density of routes etc. Just a couple of the findings:
- Every country in the world, no matter how small or poor, has at least one airline
- Some of these airlines, particularly in Africa, seem to have only one or two planes, often 2nd or 3rd hand 737s.
- Any country with a plane big enough has a flight to New York and either their former colonial master or London.
- If they have a 2nd flight to the US, it is usually to Washington, sometimes LA.
- There are more airlines in Europe than anywhere else on earth.